Tuesday, September 11, 2018

WHAT 9/11 TAUGHT ME, AS A NEW YORKER

WHAT 9/11 TAUGHT ME, AS A NEW YORKER

By Phillip Elton Collins

Having lived in mid-town Manhattan most of my adult life and experiencing all the success NYC can offer, I shall forever see 9/11 permanently imprinted into my emotions and mind. Looking at the Hudson River that faithful day, I saw a south bound plane flying much too low over the Hudson River. The next thing I knew that plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers. As the day’s trauma unfolded, none of it made any sense as to how and why this could happen.

Experiencing black-outs, hundreds of homeless people living and dying on the streets, a subway system covered in angry graffiti, nothing had prepared me or anyone else for 9/11.

As shock and grief consumed the city, nation and world, the one thing I shall always remember is how my huge adopted home had joined our massive hearts and hands in love and support for one another. Some day we may know the truth as to what really happened that awful day but till then I shall always know LOVE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS.



No comments:

Post a Comment